We are looking to speak to Senior level HSEQ Managers who are looking to progress to Director level at some point. Please be aware, only appplications from those with extensive commercial or housebuild principal contractors will be considered for this role. No contractors please and a stable employment history, if you have jumped around roles every year, this role is not for you.
The Senior Health and Safety Manager:
- Providing the full range of health and safety help, advice, monitoring, discipline, training and accident and incident investigation to major projects,
- Deputises for the Health and Safety Director as required to deal with a major incident, client concern or other important meeting or matter when the Health and Safety Director is unavailable;
- Has operational responsibility for health and safety management of a defined geographical area, including staff allocation and development;
- Provides advice and guidance to all health and safety team members based upon company policy and up to date legislation, as well as sample H&S documentation;
- Carries out corporate audits and inspections on other projects from time to time to benchmark health and safety performance and set in place processes for improvement;
- Carries out corporate audits of subcontractors and sets in place processes and monitoring for help and improvement;
- Acts as a standard bearer and mentor to health and safety team members setting an example of personal dedication and responsibility in the role.
The Senior Health and Safety Manager will report to the Health and Safety Director.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
The senior health and safety manager will act as a resident health and safety manager for the site where they will be based, and will with assistance discharge the following duties:
- Act as the project health and safety champion and co-ordinator, with the aim of assisting the Project Manager to discharge their duties in respect of health and safety on site.
- Provide practical and realistic monitoring, good practice advice and ensure basic legal compliance.
- Liaise with the Corporate Health and Safety Department to seek advice or organise internal or external training.
- Conduct daily site inductions and review induction forms and competence cards.
- Walk the whole site at least twice each day and bring any unsafe condition to the attention of the relevant supervisor by radio or mobile phone contact for immediate attention. The senior H&S Manager is authorised and expected to immediately suspend any unsafe work practices. If this is done the relevant Manager must be notified by radio.
- During the site tours correct any unsafe acts seen, and operate the disciplinary yellow card / red card procedure as appropriate. Senior management will not override a red card - the person concerned must leave the site permanently.
- Produce one written inspection report each week listing all unsafe conditions identified during the preceding 5 days and ensure that action items are closed out within the prescribed timeframe.
- Update the Construction Phase Plan and Fire and Emergency Plan on a regular basis. Ensure that all roles identified in the plans are filled by appropriately trained and competent people, and bring to the attention of the Project Manager any deficiencies identified.
- Meet with the Project Manager formally on a weekly basis to discuss issues and receive briefing on the work ahead.
- Set the Toolbox Talks topics for Supervisors to present to all site personnel. Monitor the satisfactory delivery of the talks both in numbers and quality of presentation, including sitting in on one talk each week.
- Contribute to the production of method statements and risk assessments. Site Managers to determine the method statement after consultation. Senior H&S Manager to formulate the risk assessment and produce the document. Ensure that these are briefed to the workforce.
- Contribute to the review of Sub-contractors' method statements along with the Project Managers. Maintain records of this check.
- Ensure that Lifting Supervisors and Appointed Persons carry out their duties diligently.
- Ensure that a competent and trained person carries out a thorough inspection of all scaffolds weekly, and that any defects identified are corrected.
- Monitor weekly hoarding inspections and temporary works
- Ensure that Supervisors on a daily basis complete Daily Safe Starts, issue permits. Supervisor to hand the permit to the H&S Manager at the start of the day and sign off at the end of the day. Act as a hub for managing the process and assisting supervisors as necessary.
- Be responsible for maintaining Site Safety Files.
- Via an assistant ensure that signage on site is maintained and enhanced, and fire points are maintained in working condition.
- Organise regular fire evacuations.
- Organise a project health and safety award scheme, and coordinate the Site Leadership Meetings.
- Produce a monthly H&S overview report for inclusion in the project monthly report for the Client.
Great opportunity for someone happy to take on this Senior role who also enjoys getting out on site still. The Director is due to retire in the next 12-16 months, maybe sooner so
you will eventually take over his role.
Again, please do not apply if you have not worked extensively in the Residential build or major commercial build sector.